Saturday, January 25, 2014

FROM THE HEART OF AN OFW

About  3 years ago, I was compelled to make a decision to pursue a career abroad to sustain the financial needs of my family.

To be an OFW (Overseas Filipino Worker) is most probably the archetype avenue of every filipino who would like to provide financially for their loved ones.

Leaving was never easy, in fact it’s the hardest feeling I've been through, primarily because I am a mother and to be away from my little one feels unbearable and sure it is. From the moment I stepped inside the NAIA airport and waved goodbye to my daughter and up to that instant I am seated on the plane, I’ve embraced melancholy. 

I can still remember when I was seated on the window side of the plane as it ascends, I was looking outside and I am telling myself, “this is it, there’s no turning back now”. Of course there’s no chance I could turn back anymore as we are feet above the ground and it would mean death if I do. Kidding aside, I was heavy hearted, I close my eyes and tried to convince myself that it will be okay and all the hurts I am feeling is just temporary and I will get use to it afterward. I have in my mind all practical reasons why I need to leave, this is a sacrifice I need to endure to give a better future my daughter deserves.

On the way, I am a bit worried about what awaits me in the foreign land where I will be working. I am afraid that I might as well experience maltreatment and abuse that some of our “kababayans” have suffered of, those that I usually see when watching news.

 I don’t want to go home in a box, lifeless, a cadaver. My goal is to be stable, save enough money for my daughter’s future, to have my own house and a small business to start with and be sucessful with it subsequently. Having only my faith and my dreams for my daughter with me, I valiantly go on and unfold my opportunity as an OFW.

Luckily, I was blessed to be employed in a very organize and human oriented company, working with caring professionals. My job hasn't been stressful but it was challenging enough for me to adjust at certain points.  I was being paid equally and on time. Not much of a hassle when it comes to work.  

“Home Sickness”, this is my daily struggle. It’s hard to fool yourself and pretend to be busy when you’re longing for an embrace of a True home.  It’s been 3 years and I thought I’ll get use to this emotion but I didn't. Yearning always feels like day one of my long journey.

There’s never a day I don’t miss my daughter, my nanay and tatay and my siblings, and when I miss them all I can do is to just close my eyes & bow my head, pray to god to bless me with more strength to make it through, to touch me with his healing hands so all the hurting s I'm feeling would just go away, to tell him that I trust in him and I believe that one day…all our sacrifices will pay off... one day I’ll see my family again and I’ll be wrapped around their loving arms and will be cuddled with their tightest hugs. ;)


1 comment:

  1. ang lungkot naman nito huhuhu. next time yun masaya naman isulatmo ^^ cheers Anne!

    ReplyDelete